Monday, January 1, 2018

Goodbye to 2017 and Hello to 2018

Normally when I do one of these posts, I try to find the most interesting things I did during the year or the things that made me most excited.  However I'm going to start this post with the last picture I posted in 2017 because there is some significance to it.  Plus, I'm still in the hospital and it's not as easy to find the pictures I want on my lap top.  Also, I normally break this into two posts but it's kind of fitting to keep it in one post.
It's hard to believe that the last picture I took in 2017 is one that I barely caught. It seems like I pretty much spent the month of November not feeling well.  In fact, it was lucky for me that I caught this plane because I was entertaining not taking my camera bag with me (which is unusual).  Anyway, this shot wasn't planned which is also unusual for me.

Since Thanksgiving weekend, I have been in the hospital or the rehab center.  Two weeks ago, I had my heart surgery and I seem to be recovering well from it (except for some of the pain).  That kind of put a damper on my photographing plans.  With the cold weather, I would have had some good ice shots.  Oh well, maybe next year.  I've also missed a good chunk of the EMU basketball season and I'll probably miss the rest of it but we'll see.  But like I said, I'm getting better and I'll be back.

Last year was probably an average year for me.  I didn't go to any place new but I still got some pretty cool pictures.  EMU basketball ended up not doing so well.  Same with EMU football, their 6 game losing streak pretty much eliminated any chance of them going to a bowl game.  Engineer's Day was pretty cool but I didn't do the Chicago thing again.  There were a few trips to Grand Haven and I finally got some wind swept Lake Michigan pictures that I was happy about.  I got way too many pictures of the airport though, I'm going to try to curtail that a bit in 2018.  I did discover Magee Marsh and that was cool.  I hope that I'm well enough to chase eagles come spring.  I would really like to catch the young eagles take their first flights.

I got a few ship shots including a couple of ships that haven't appeared here before.  I think I would like to get more ship shots next year.  I think there are a few more new builds coming out.  Plus Algoma Central bought four ships from American Steamship and there's a chance that a couple ships that have laid up for a long time might come out.  If they do, I want to catch them.

With that said, I think 2017 could have better for me, so I am going to make sure that 2018 is better.

Since I haven't done one in a while, I would like to take a long train trip this year.  I'm not sure if I want to do Seattle or San Francisco though.  I am leaning towards taking a trip out on the Empire Builder and taking US-2 back home.  I'll have to figure out long it will take to drive back though because that will be the deciding factor.

I think Chicago will finally have A380 service this year and if they do, I want to make sure that I go to catch one of those bad boys.  I think they are ugly but I still would like to see a plane that large.  While I go to ORD, I would like to time it so that I catch one of the Iceland Air Aurora planes.  Maybe I will luck out and Detroit Metro will get one.

I would also like to take a trip out east again.  I really would like to see Steam Town in Scranton but I think I would to see the cherry blossoms in Washington D.C.  Of course all of this depends on how much vacation time I have left and my endurance.

As far as the blog goes, I want to try finding more odd tidbits of Michigan and Ohio history to seek out.  I want to continue the state highway and roads series though.  I think this year is going to take a trip down Gratiot.   Of course, I will continue with ships and planes.

Anyway, I would like to thank all of my readers.  If there is anything you would like to see here, feel free to comment.  If you have suggestions, please feel free to do so.


I'll leave you with one of my favorites from the year.

No comments: