Saturday, May 17, 2014

The David Whitney Residence

My mom had to go to Utrecht for some art supplies.  While I was waiting out in the parking lot, a structure caught my eye, so I had to go explore.
 Turns out that the structure was part of the David Whitney Estate.  I've driven by this building several times in the past but I never really paid attention to it.  It currently serves as a restaurant and while I was taking pictures, it looks like it was serving as a wedding reception place.
 David Whitney was a lumber baron.  He was born in 1830 in Watertown, Massachusetts.  He made millions as a lumber baron in Lowell, Massachusetts.  In 1857, he moved to Detroit where he expanded his empire to include parts of Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania.
 In 1890, he decided to build his estate at a cost of $400,000 (which would translate to over $10,000,000 today).  He had jasper imported from South Dakota.  It has 52 rooms and some tiffany glass windows.
 He died in 1900 and his family remained there until 1920.  Apparently, there are rumors of the house being haunted because he died there.
In 1972, it was added to the National Register of Historic places.  Later in 1985, it was restored and converted to a restaurant.

No comments: