Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Herbert C. Jackson Going up the St. Clair River

As I was heading down to Algonac, I looked in my rearview mirror and noticed another classic laker.  Since I was sort of on a mission, I decided that I would catch her after I took my final pictures of the Arthur M. Anderson.
 The ship in question was the Herbert C. Jackson.  She has appeared on this blog several times in the past.  In fact, it seemed like I saw her every time I headed up to Port Huron last year.  That is fine because she also is a pretty nice looking ship.
 She is another classic laker that I love so much.  I finally caught up with her in St Clair which is actually a pretty nice spot for boatwatching.  There is little behind the river to interfere with the shots.  You also get a fairly decent headshot.
 It gives an almost nice beam shot.
 But again, I was still shooting into the sun.
 She heads up north.
 So then I headed over to Marysville.  That is also a pretty nice spot for shipwatching.  You get a pretty long view of the ships.
 A closeup of her pilothouse.
 The three quarters shot that I love so much.
 An even closer shot of the pilothouse. 
 A shot of her anchors and bow.
 In case you forgot what ship we were talking about.
 Another shot of her anchor.  They look so small on the river and then when you stand next to one.
 Her pilothouse as she passes by.
 This crane is used to lift the deck hatches.
 And her rudder.
 A shot of her stern.
 A shot of her stack.
 Then I went to a spot just south of Port Huron.  It isn't a bad spot.
 The beam shot.
 One of my favorite spots is just below the Blue Water Bridge.  You get a chance for a headshot as the ships head out in to Lake Huron.
 You also get a pretty close three quarters shot.
 And if you're in the right spot, you get the Blue Water Bridge as a backdrop.
And a shot of her stern as she heads out to Lake Huron.

No comments: