Construction of the Duluth Ship Canal began in 1871 with private funds but the Corps of Engineers took over in 1887. The idea started when the Soo Locks were built in 1855. The people of Duluth were not happy with this because the shipping had to leave through Superior, Wisconsin. The bay between the sand bar and the city wasn't bad because it was sheltered but it didn't go deep enough. A harbor was created near this location but was destroyed. The piers were built in 1901.