Friday, May 23, 2014

The Great Lakes Aquarium

Next I headed over to the Great Lakes Aquarium.  I thought that I got a complimentary ticket because of my membership to the Lake Superior Museum but that wasn't the case.  I ended up going inside anyway despite the number of kids wandering around.
 A giant stuffed catfish.  Apparently this Aquarium is the only one in the world that is all freshwater fish.  Occasionally they will get some saltwater tanks for special exhibits but that is not the norm.  I had a feeling that kind of limits the number of displays.
 I forget what this fish was called but it would have been an example of a fish that would have swam around the Great Lakes Area millions of years ago.
 An example of a fish in a glacial pond.
 They basically had a recreation of a trout pond.
 An alligator gar.
 I'm not sure what kind of duck this is.
 A soft shelled turtle.
 A painted turtle.
 A pike.  I was amazed at how big he was.
They also had an otter exhibit.

The aquarium was pretty cool.

No comments: