Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Mackinac Bridge At Dusk and Night

Since the Mackinac Bridge was only like 20 miles or so from Cross Village, we decided to head there. We arrived just in time to catch it at sunset.

This is just as the sun is setting. Notice the pinks.

The sun going down a little more.

A shot of the long view.

A little darker.

Almost night.

Still almost night.

Nighttime. I really love the look of the bridge at night. It is usually lit up and the colors are amazing.

Darker.

Looking out from near the Fort.

Oh yeah, photography hint...If you're going to take a night shot of a bridge or building, use a tripod. If you don't have a tripod, set the camera on something solid. For these shots, I used a picnic table. Sometimes it helps to use the timer function on the camera so there is no motion when the shot is being taken. If you are using an SLR and you have a mirror lock up function use that (In the case of my Canon there is live view which moves the mirror of the way). Do not use the flash, it will not help you. I don't know how many times I've seen people using their flash. And what saddened me is when I saw a guy with a nice camera using one.....I wonder if he is going to complain about spending a couple grand on a camera and he still can't get a good picture.

No comments: