Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Photo Contest

Hello to my viewing audience, I am actually asking for your advice. Every year, Aviation Week sponsors an aviation photography contest. I entered it last year and didn't win but I would like to try again this year. There are cash prizes but I'm not as interested in that as in the fact I could get my picture published in the magazine.

These are the pictures that won last year:
Winners

Military Runners Up

Civillian Runners Up

Commercial Runners Up

I'm not sure if my pictures can compete with those but I do think some of them are pretty good. Anyways, please post in the comments sections which ones of these you like or if you happen to remember previous pics that you like better than the ones I picked below.

Thank you.





























7 comments:

GoBlueBob said...

I like numbers 2,3,6,10,11 &13 starting from the top. I am not sure how many you can submit but I like the old bombers and you cannot go wrong with the Maize & Blue Angels.

Srsly Me said...

4 blue planes, flying in formation - I like the contrast of colors, and there is good "motion" in the picture - a few pics above this one is a silver plane w/red, says "GO" on it (see, I know a lot about planes, too. Can you tell?) - perfectly centered, treetops & ground give a sense of perspective to the pic, I think.

I know next to nothing about photography - but to me, all of your pics look like they could be in magazines. So - if you don't place at this event, the people judging it must be blind.

A2saint said...

I also like #'s 3, 6 and 11. I dig the old WWII planes...

winterh said...

If I had to pick just one, it would be the Blue Angels one with it on the ground and the cockpit open.

Bigasshammm said...

7 (F-16), 11 (B-17), 12 (F-15)

Of them all I would go with the B-17 one because it is so clear it looks surreal. Looks like a toy set against a sky backdrop. But aside from that the F-16 and 15 are good because of the speed and motion making them more difficult shots. Looking at those winners and such it's kind of ridiculous when you realize none of those guys are "amateur" photographers. Most of them are even in chase planes.

Andy said...

Mik

The photo of the four Blue Angels has the best in my opinion. You might want to do a little cropping and some post processing work to make the color pop.

I hope you don't mind, but I grabbed that image and ran it thru a couple of simple steps so you could see what I was talking about. the edited finished product does not look anything like it possibly could because I did not have the uncompressed image file (imagine the bright color without all the JPG artifacts around the jets).

I also think #11 has a lot of promise, the context the viewer gets with the background is great.

Mikoyan said...

The only post-processing I can do is cropping (I think) and brightness and contrast adjustment. Unfortunately, the larger image is a jpg, I never quite made the plunge into RAW but the more I hear about it, the more I think I'll have to go in that direction.