Sunday, June 1, 2014

Amongst the Cherry Bloss

So next I wandered up the Old Mission Peninsula because that's where I remembered where there were many cherry orchards.  It's actually a pretty nice little drive and is sandwiched between the Leelenau Peninsula and the main part of Michigan.  It also splits the Grand Traverse Bay into two parts.
 I'm not sure how many tons of cherries are grown in Michigan but I'm pretty confident there are alot.  Last year, we had a warming period followed by a freeze and didn't help the area much.    This year, we had a late sprint and it looks like things are finally starting to bloom.  I suspect they wont get hit be a cold spell again.
 The blossoms are pretty though.  It was a little windy, so some of my pictures didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.
 Looking across the bay towards the main part of Michigan.
 Another cherry blossom.  It almost looks like they are getting ready to fall off the trees.
 I was trying to get three in one picture.
 An older orchard.  I think the frost also killed some of the trees last year.
 The Old Mission Peninsula also has several vineyards.  Over the years, Michigan has started to make some pretty good wines.
 A closer shot of that.
 I kind of liked the look of the barn in this shot.
 Another farm.
 As we were wandering, I stumbled across this church.
 Another angle.
 I kind of liked the look of this barn.
Looking down a row of cherry trees.

No comments: