Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Eastern Michigan at Sunrise

As I was heading into work, it was a nice bright morning and the light was just about perfect.  I've been meaning to get some pictures of Eastern for a while now and I decided to this would be a good day to do it.  So I ended up parking by Pierce Hall to get my pictures.
 First up was a picture of Pease Auditorium.  Sadly I was shooting into the sun and didn't quite get the effect I was looking for.  But it still is a nice enough building.
 My shot of the Pierce Hall tower gave me the effect that I was looking for.  The sun was hitting it just about right and I always like shots of towers looking up.
 Sherzer Hall gave me more of the effect that I was looking for.  The sun was hitting it just right.
 Since it was right across the way, I decided to get a picture of Starkweather Hall.  I like the looks of this building.  This is the oldest surviving building on campus.
 Sherzer is one of the older buildings and was nearly lost after a fire in 1989.  It burnt 50% of the exterior and almost 70% of the interior.  After 18 months, the building was completely repaired and much of it was using original masonry techniques.  The building is pretty cool.
 When I was a student, this was McKenny Union and was used as the student union.  There used to be a bowling alley in the basement and upstairs could be used for conferences or whatever.  Since the opening of the student center on the other side of Bowen Field house, this has been renamed McKenny Hall and is used for other purposes.
 Welch Hall is another building that was restored in the time while I was a student at Eastern Michigan.  When I first saw the campus in 1987, it looked burnt out.   Shortly after I became a student, they restored it and it looks much nicer now.
 A picture from the other side to get the benefit of the sunlight.
 And of course, I couldn't pass up taking pictures of the Water Tower.
 A shot of Pierce Hall from the other side.
 It was a little hazy this morning.  It kind of made for neat pictures.
 A shot of Ford Hall.
 A shot of Boone Hall.  I'm not sure if I've posted a picture of it before.  I think this is the first time I've gotten a shot of it that I really liked.  This used to house the College of Education.  I think it now houses the Graduate School.
One more shot of Pease Auditorium.

No comments: