Monday, February 6, 2012

The Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory....Again

My pictures from Saturday continue.  As I said in my last post, I had a little time to wait in line for the Aquarium, so I decided to take pictures of the Conservatory as well.  I think this may be one of my favorite structures on Belle Isle.  It has that old school look to it.
 This building was also constructed in 1904 and was designed by Albert Kahn.  It was orginally intended to be a compliment to the aquarium and at one time you were able to go between both buildings.  That entrance was closed as the aquarium wanted to add a shark tank.
 Albert Kahn loosely based this design on Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.
 In 1952, it was remodeled with some of the wooden beams being replaced by aluminum.
 In 1954, it was renamed the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory after she left her rather large collection of orchids.
 This is a Marshall Fredericks sculpture.
A view of the Conservatory that I was hoping to get for a long time.  I really love how the outside gardens flow into the building.

No comments: