Friday, February 17, 2012

St Stephen Church - Toledo

Across the street from Tony Packo's cafe is a pretty neat looking church.  I've seen it before but I've never posted pictures of it here.
 It is called St. Stephen Church.   The neighborhood is called Birmingham.
 The parish was established in 1898 and the first church was wooden.  It caught fire in 1908 and the current church was built in 1914.
 The style is early Christian basilica and looks similar to churches in Northern Italy.  This style was also used in Hungary and many of the people in this area were from there.
 Looking up at the spires.
 A statue of St. Stephen.  He was the first king of Hungary.
 Looking up at one of the spires.
 The stained glass window on the front of the church.  I kind of wish I had gone inside because the pictures I've seen look impressive.
 One of the doors.
Another shot of the side of the church.  I'd have to admit that it looks pretty cool.

No comments: