Thursday, March 31, 2016

Wandering the Chesapeake Bay

So I decided to wander to a spot where I could see the Chesapeake Bay.   That involved taking a trip over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel which is a combination of bridges and tunnels that add up to 23 miles.  The current northbound side opened in 1964.  Prior to that, people would have to take ferries to get from the Norfolk area to the peninsula just north of Norfolk.  In 1999, another span was added and turned into the southbound side.  It's kind of an interesting drive and I wish I could have gotten pictures.
 There is a spot roughly in the middle where you can stop and take pictures of both the Atlantic Ocean and the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay.  There is a fishing pier and restaurant there as well.  As I was approaching that spot, I saw this helicopter carrier coming in.  She is the USS Wasp and is the lead ship of the one I posted about last night.
 I'm not sure what kind of vessel this is, but she was following the Wasp.
 A shot of the Chesapeake Bay.  If you look closely at the horizon, you can see a pair of ships.  They are likely heading up to Baltimore.
 A seagull.
 The pair of bridges.  I kind of wish I could have gotten a better picture of them.
 Some of the trees.
 I'm not sure if this is from people littering or stuff washed up from the sea.  Either way, it's not good.
 A shot of the shoreline.
 Looking back towards the bridge.
 Looking the other way.
 We ended up going up the highway for a bit and I passed this building.  I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like it was connected to the railroad at some point.
 Another angle of the building.
As I looked closer, I noticed the railroad ties buried in the ground.  This at least confirmed there was track here.

Again, this is something I'd like to further explore.

No comments: