Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Joseph H Thompson

Yesterday as I was in Bay City, we were riding along the river, when I saw this ship. So I decided to take pictures of it. As I was taking pictures of it, I noticed the odd pilothouse and the even odder arrangement of the ship. As I was thinking about it, I figured that it was a ship that was converted.

The Joseph H Thompson started out as the Marine Robin in 1944 for World War II. After the war, she was put into mothballs only to come out in the early 1950's due to the high demand for iron ore. After some extensive reconstruction, she was commissioned as the Joseph H. Thompson.

She remained in service until the early 80's. In the mid 80's, she was purchsed by another company and basically converted to a barge. She was finally re-launched in 1991.

The ship as she is coming down the Saginaw River.

As it was passing by. Notice the odd pilothouse.

As it is approaching the Independence Bridge. You can see the tugboat in the back.



As it is almost through the bridge.

No comments: