Saturday, June 15, 2013

One More Ride on the Wolverine

So I had one more leg on a train.  This time it was the leg from Chicago back to Ann Arbor.  Compared to all my other legs, this would be a short trip.  Even though I enjoyed my trip and felt relaxed, I was happy to be heading home.
 The Amtrak yard is pretty significant.  For the most part, if you ride the Amtrak, you're going to end up in Chicago.
 A couple years ago, Amtrak celebrated their fortieth anniversary by painting their trains to look like the color schemes of years passed.  This arrow was called the arrow to nowhere by critics.  Given the bad blood from some folks in Congress and the rail companies towards Amtrak, it's amazing they've made it this far.  I'm glad that they are.  I think we need a viable passenger rail in this country.  If nothing else, the airlines need competition.
 Another Amtrak engine.  This one is in the current color scheme.
 A shot of Chicago as we start to leave.
 Chicago is also a major hub for the other rail companies.  I would imagine there isn't an engine that hasn't touched Chicago at least once.
 A group of Norfolk-Southern engines.
 One more Norfolk-Southern engine.
 A CSX engine.
 A switching car for one of the steel mills.
 Another CSX engine.  For some reason, I like their color scheme.
And a shot of Kalamazoo.  This was the indication that I could give my camera some rest since it would be dark.  That gave me a chance to watch a movie.

No comments: