Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Hollyhock Passes By Detroit

Yesterday I decided to head down to the Detroit River because I heard that there were going to be the tugboat races.  What I didn't expect was that it was also River Walk Days or something like that, so there were a bunch of people at Milliken.  Oh well, it wasn't too bad I guess.
 As I was waiting for the tugboat races to start, the Cutter Hollyhock decided to make an appearance.  I've taking pictures of her several times in the past but I never caught her underway.  Since I prefer pictures of ships underway to pictures of ships docked, I had to take some pictures of her.
 She was born in Marinette, Wisconsin in 2003.  She is known as a Juniper Class Buoy tender but like many vessels in the Coast Guard, she serves many function.  She is 225 feet long and displaces 2000 tons.
 A shot of her bridge.
 And her bow.
 Her main responsibility is the maintaining of the navigational aids in the Great Lakes.  With her GPS and other systems, she can be held to a 10 meter circle.  This is helpful in accurate placing of buoys and what not.
Like many other modern Coast Guard vessels, I'm not 100% sold on her appearance.

No comments: