Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Snapping Turtle

As I was heading home from work today, I saw this guy about to cross the road.  Since I don't think I've ever seen a snapping turtle this big before, I had to stop and take pictures.
 I don't think I've ever seen a snapping turtle this big before.  I didn't want to get too close to him, so I used one of my telephoto lenses.  I'm not sure how fast this guy can move, but I really didn't want to find out either.
 He was a big fellow though.  I think a snapper of this size can at least take a finger off but again, I really didn't want to find out.
 I would have liked him in a spot where I could take a better picture of him.
 One cool thing about snappers is that they start to get moss on them.
One more view of the turtle.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

would have been nice if you put something (eg a dollar, car keys, a comb)in pic so we can judge how big it really is and the green stuff that grows on them isn't moss but algae.

Rachael said...

Those are some crazy creatures. My husband was driving along in the upper suburbs once and there one was mid way crossing the road. But it appeared to have got scared and stopped, luckily another driver had a huge strong shovel and picked him up with it and carried it to the other side of the road.