Friday, April 11, 2014

The Thunder Bay

It's not often I get a chance to take a picture of a ship I've not seen before.  Tonight was one of those chances.
 Despite the fact that she's been sailing on the Great Lakes since June of last year, I never got a chance to get a picture of her.  It always seemed like she would be passing this neck of the woods when I was working or otherwise tied up.
 The Thunder Bay is another one of the Chinese built ships that is being used by the Canada Steamship Lines.  She was introduced to the Lakes last year and her construction was finished late in 2012.
Despite the fact that I don't like what these ships stand for, I still think they are pretty nice looking ships.  I kind of like the way the pilothouse looks.
 Like most of the Canadian ships, she is 739 feet long and 77 feet wide.  This is so she can go through the Welland Canal.
 She can carry almost 38,000 tons of cargo.
Like her predecessors that were named Thunder Bay, I'm sure she'll make a mark on the Great Lakes too.

No comments: