Monday, April 28, 2014

The Mighty Paul R. Tregurtha

The ship I was mainly waiting for was the Paul R. Tregurtha.  I had a choice between catching her or the Algosteel.  I decided on the Tregurtha because I also wanted to see the Saltie Convention.
 At 1014 feet, she is the largest ship on the Lakes.  If you stood her upright, she would be taller the Renaissance Center.
 Despite her size, she is still dwarfed by the Blue Water Bridge.
 But that all depends on the view.
 I would hate to be in a fishing boat and seeing this view.
 This view might be a little better.
 But as she gets closer, she starts to dwarf the Bridge.  The current was moving pretty fast, so it seemed like she was taking it more careful.
 She starts to show her length.
 I think I've said it before, for some reason this reminds me of the opening scene of Star Wars.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 And she passes by.
 The shot of her stern.  It is a nice view to go with the shot from the front.
 Another shot of her full length.
 And her massive bow.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
And a closeup of her pilothouse.
And one more shot of her passing.  She was heading down to the Detroit Edison Plant in St. Clair to deliver coal.

No comments: