Friday, April 25, 2014

Salarium Returns

As I was about to leave work today, I decided to check AIS to see if anything was heading down and I noticed one ship was just outside of Port Huron.
 The ship in question was the Salarium.  She is a ship that has appeared on this blog in the past and I decided to go catch her because she is fairly rare in these parts.
 Salarium is the Latin word for salt.  Apparently (but unverified), it is also the origin for the word salary.  Part of the pay of a Roman soldier was salt.  So evidently, the name stuck.
 But as I said that was unverified.  Since, she was just outside of Port Huron when I checked, I decided to head over to St. Clair first to catch her.  I didn't have to wait too long.
 A shot of her bow.  She has a little rust but not as bad as some ships.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 And she starts to pass by.
 Then I decided to head down to Marine City to continue taking pictures of her.  I'm glad I did because the sun started to come out.
 I really like the results.
 Then I continued to the park just south of Marine City.
 The sun was still shining.
 I like the colors of the pilothouse.  The logo is the logo of Societe Quebecoise D'Exploration Miniere, although the ship is owned by Canada Steamship Lines.
 She passes by again.
 Then I decided to head to the little park next to the Algonac State Park.
 Again, I'm glad I did because I like the way these pictures turned out too.

 I really like this shot.
One more stop in Algonac proper.

No comments: