Sunday, May 18, 2014

The John B. Aird Enters Superior Harbor


The Duluth area is called the Twin Harbors because next door is the town of Superior, Wisconsin which also has port facilities.  The combined ports make for one of the busiest seaports in the United States.  After a nap, I decided to head over to Superior because I saw that I had a chance to catch the John B. Aird as she headed in.
 I think one of the things I'm going to like about here is the different angles I will get for taking pictures of ships.  I don't normally get to have buildings in the foreground.   Here the Aird is coming off Lake Superior.  I'm not sure if you can tell, but there is still ice behind the Aird.  The lighthouse is the Wisconsin Point lighthouse.
 A headshot of the Aird.
 Here she is about to make the entrance into the harbor.
 Except that she ended up turning around in order to back up into the slip.
 But it gave me a chance to get a beam shot with the lighthouse.  I guess it is not normally for ships to back into the harbor.
 But it was explained in a way that makes sense.
 So she's heading into the harbor.  Sadly, it didn't quite give me the views I wanted though.
 But still pretty cool.
 The water was fairly smoothe enough to give me some nice reflections.
 A closeup of her pilothouse.
 And her bow.  If there is one common factor about Algoma boats, it's that they are pretty hard working boats and they look it.
 This is the shot I wanted but I got it here.
 She backs into her slip.
 This gives me a nice reflection.
 I kind of like this shot because it's another that I don't often get.
One more shot.

It sounds like it is going to be a busy day tomorrow.  So I hope that I get some nice shots.

No comments: