Saturday, October 18, 2014

A Brief Stop at the Dossin Museum

Like I said, I made a brief stop at the Dossin Museum.  I've been there a few times, so I didn't really have to wander through that much.  Mainly, I was looking for the pilothouse.
One of the main attractions of the Dossin is that there is the pilothouse from the William Clay Ford there.   The William Clay Ford is famous because she is one of the ships that went out to look for the Edmund Fitzgerald.  Unlike the Arthur M. Anderson, the William Clay Ford was already in a safe anchorage and she left that to assist a fallen mate.  Sadly, she met the same fate of so many other ships and was scrapped.  Fortunately, they were able to save her pilothouse.   This is a ship's compass.
 The helm.  Presumably, it has assisted steering, so it doesn't have the big wheel that so many other ships have.
 One of the many charts in the chart room.
 More of a full shot of her pilothouse.
This is from the ballroom of the SS. Detroit.  I can only imagine how impressive it would have looked on the real ship.

No comments: