Sunday, October 26, 2014

Wandering Around the Lower Part of Jefferson Avenue

I was going to head over to the Lake Erie Metropark yesterday after the game.  When I got there, I saw that I needed to pay to get in and I didn't have any cash with me, so I passed on the park.  Since I was in the area, I decided to wander around that party of Jefferson Avenue for a bit.
 The Grosse Ile Free Bridge is on one side of the island and is maintained by the Wayne County Road Commission.  It is a swing truss bridge that was built in 1932.  It is called the Free Bridge because it is free unlike the bridge at the other end of the island.
 Naval Air Station Grosse Ile was established in 1927 and is located at the southern end of Grosse Ile.  In 1929, it was commissioned as a Naval Air Reserve base and operated the Consolidated NY-1 plane.  It also housed the Navy's only all metal airship.  During World War II, it would serve as the Navy's largest training facility, over 5000 pilots would be trained here.  It was briefly used as  a Nike Anti-Missile battery and was closed in 1969 and now serves as a regional airport.
 The Grosse Ile toll bridge opened in 1913 and is owned by the Grosse Ile Bridge Company. 
The tug is the Sharon Mi, I'm not sure what the barge is.

No comments: