Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Catching Up With the Algosteel

It has been a while since I've caught the Algosteel.  I think she went into layup at the end of the season and for a while, it might have been her last layup prior to getting chopped up.  It seemed that she got a little reprieve.  Last week, she headed from her layup spot to Conneaut, Ohio in order to pick up a load of ore for Montreal. 
 As I took this picture, she was on her way up to Goderich, Ontario.  Typically ships will pick up salt there.
 As I type this post, she is just south of Point Pelee in Lake Erie.  I'm not sure where she is heading as her AIS is not up to date.
 A shot of her beam.  She is looking pretty sad with all that rust on her hull but I guess I can understand that they don't want to put too much work into her.
 She makes her way up the River.
 I was okay with my shots at St. Clair but there were too many boats in many of them and I was planning on chasing the Algosteel anyway.  I just have a feeling this is my last chance to catch her.
 So I headed up to Marysville.
 This time, I kept my big lens on because I wanted to get some closeups.  Her bow and anchor pockets.  The numbers indicate how much of her hull is below water.  It's kind of tough to tell as many of the numbers are worn away.
 Her plimsoll markings.  Like I said, she could use a paint job.
 At least her stack looks proud.
 A shot of her stern.
 Next, I headed up to Port Huron.
 The bow shot.
 Although I think my favorite angle is the quarter shot.  Kind of belies their size.
 She makes her way under the Blue Water Bridge.
 her Algoma Central flag flying proudly in the breeze.
And she continues up into Lake Huron.

No comments: