Friday, July 27, 2012

Chasing Roger Blough in the Rain

I was in Troy today to finish up with our ISO-9001 audit and I had an idea that the Blough was going to be in the neighborhood again, so I decided to check.  She is a ship I like to catch as often as possible.  I didn't have the chance to catch her going downbound this time because she passed at an odd time.  I ended up seeing her on AIS as she was approaching Detroit, so I figured I could catch her on the St. Clair River.

So I headed over to catch M-29 because that follows along the St. Clair River.  I just wish the weather were a little more cooperative.
 I was hoping to catch the Blough around Algonac State Park but that wasn't the case.  I did finally catch her just south of Marine City but I wanted to get a little distance between myself and her so that I could get a head on shot.  That didn't quite happen.
 I guess I was close enough though.
 I've never photographed ships from this location and I'll have to try to come by this way again.  There is a pretty nice background and I'd imagine the River looks as nice as the Detroit on a sunny day.
 It also looks like the ships get a little closer to the shore than I am used to.
 I wish the skies were a little more turbulent though.  I like stormy weather but I don't like blah skies.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 I couldn't get much more of a profile than this one though.  She was too close.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
 And deckhouse.
 And she starts to pull away.
 I'm not sure what this Ferry is called but it almost looked like she was going to ram the Blough.
One last shot before she heads off to Twin Harbors.

I ended up going to Port Huron but I didn't think I would have a chance to catch her before my light ran out, so I ended up heading back.  One of these days, I will catch her in Port Huron.

1 comment:

Isaac said...

Ferry Ontamich. They do some weird maneuvers to get around those freighters.