Sunday, July 1, 2012

On the Way to the Soo Locks

On the last Friday of every June, the Army Corps of Engineers has what they call Engineer's Day at the Soo Locks.  I found out about this a couple of years ago and have been meaning to go ever since but it seems like stuff always comes up that weekend.  I wasn't going to miss out on it this year and I ended up going up with my dad. 
 He was driving, so I got to take some pictures on the way.  The exit sign pointing to Wolverine, Michigan.  I've never been there but I like the name, so here's a picture.
 A shot of I-75 as we were getting closer to Mackinaw City.  I really love the looks of Michigan once you get past West Branch.
 The Toll Plaza for the Mackinac Bridge.  I think the Bridge has been paid for and now the tolls are going towards maintenance.  Given that it seems like they are always sandblasting and painting, this must be a pretty large expense.  More shots of the Mackinac Bridge in the next post.
 A shot of M-134 as we headed towards De Tour.  There was the possibility of seeing the Lee Tregurtha and De Tour makes a pretty nice backdrop for a ship.
An island near De Tour.  Pics of De Tour will be following in one of the next posts.

No comments: