Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Roger Blough Heading Down the St. Mary's River

Because I can never get enough of the Blough, I decided to leave the Locks after she left the Locks.  I figured that Engineer's Day was going on all day but I haven't had many opportunities to catch the Blough, soooo.
 First we stopped at Rotary Park because it took a little bit to get back to the car and I wanted to catch her.  As you can see, I barely did.  Apparently, the Blough is having trouble because of all the people avoiding Huge Ships because she's hiding too.
 She comes out a little further.
 I rarely get a chance to get shots of ships with some foreground stuff in them.
 A nice clean shot of her...almost.
 A cleaner shot of her.
 A shot of her bow.  At this point, I was waving at her...I was hoping I'd get to hear her horn again.
 Nope...but a side shot of her bow.
 I'll have to say that Sault Ste. Marie is an assume spot for photographing ships.  There are places where you can get nice clean backgrounds and angles of the ships that I don't get on the Detroit River.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
 Her deckhouse and stack.
 Her self unloading gear.
 As she heads further down the river.
 We then went down to the 4 Mile Beach.  Her she is coming into view.
 I love her shape.
 A short of 3/4's shot of her.
 An almost straight on shot.
 A little better.
 Better yet.  I think you can see the water starting to pull away from the beach.  More on that a little later.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 And deckhouse.
 The ships pass so close to this beach that you can actually see the water getting sucked away as they passed.
 And it comes back with a vengeance.
And one last shot as she heads off to Gary.

No comments: