Sunday, July 8, 2012

Wandering Around Amish Country

Yesterday my mom and I went wandering around Amish Country.   She said that the Amish were starting to make their wheat sheaves.  Since it's been a while since I've taken pictures of those and they are pretty neat, we decided to head that way.
 Just a shot of an Amish farm.
 I kind of liked the looks of the barn.
 You can see the wheat sheaves in the front of the barn.  Next post will have some detailed pictures of those.
 Somehow I can imagine this being a similar scene in the 1800's.
 Another shot of the barn.  I tried to get the wheat sheaves and the growth on the side of the road.
 The wheat sheaves a little more prominent in this picture.
 One more shot of the farm.
 A shot of the farm and the plants on the side of the road.
 This isn't an Amish barn but I did like the advertising on the side of it.  Sadly, barns getting painted seems to be a dying thing.
 A closeup of the sign.
 As we approached another farm, I saw a goat tied outside.
 A closeup of his face.
 And something you don't usually get to see.
 As I was watching, I realized this was how they started the wheat sheaves.  The machine takes them and puts them in bundles and spits them out.
 Then I think they come back and arrange them in the familiar pattern.
 One more shot.
 Another barn on another farm.  Although it looks similar to the first one I took.
Just an overall shot of the farm.

No comments: