Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Cason Callaway...Again....

I think everyone who watches boats has a favorite one.   If you've followed this blog for a while, you know mine.  After the Blough, I don't really have a second favorite but if I did, it would likely be one of the Blough's fleetmates from the Great Lakes Fleet.  So many of the ships that are currently in the Fleet have a prominent place in the lore of the Great Lakes.  Plus they have a nice distinctive look...it's pretty easy to tell the Great Lakes ships from the other companies. 
The Cason J. Callaway has appeared on this blog several times in the past.  So I'm not going to go into her history again.  This picture was taken from the Diamond Queen and I almost missed it but as we were passing the Renaissance Center, the Callaway blew her horn and the announcer mentioned it, so I had to get a picture.  Unfortunately, it seems that many of my ship pictures are of the stern.
But I do like this angle for a ship.
Here she is heading down the Detroit River.
After the cruise was finished, I decided to head downriver to catch her.  I figured my usual haunts would be passed by, so I headed over to Bishop Park in Wyandotte.  Unfortunately, the River is pretty wide there and there is a small viewing window for ships.  Fortunately, I made it in time.
A closeup of her pilothouse.  I don't care what people say, the classic Great Lakes look is awesome.  You can keep your salties with thier rear mounted pilothouses.  I bet the Blough would take them easily.
A full on shot.  You can see the distance involved.
I'm just glad my big lens is somewhat working again, although things still seem a little fuzzy.
Another full on shot.
The way the pilothouse is tilted back and with the bow, it almost looks like it could have a smiley face on the front.
Another full on shot.
An attempt at a closeup of the deckhouse.
Another shot of the pilothouse, I think you can see the crew in this shot.
As she starts to pull away.
One last closeup of the pilothouse.
And one more shot before she passes the other island.  Like I said, Bishop doesn't give much a of window for boatwatching.  I guess I get spoiled by my nice long views from Belle Isle, Milliken, Riverside or even Del Ray.

Well that is it for today.

1 comment:

Isaac said...

Algosteel, but all the Algoma boats are close to my heart! Their history is just as storied as any other fleet's. Plus they have more boats than all the other ones!