Wednesday, February 14, 2018

A Return to My Happy Place

As you know, I recently got out of the hospital and that pretty much means I missed most of the end of season shipping.  The cool thing about winter shopping is that you can sometimes see icebreaking.  There is also a bittersweet aspect to it in that you realize you're not going to catch a ship for another couple months.  Despite the Welland Canal closing at the end of December and the Soo Locks closing in the middle of January, there are usually ships moving on the Lakes in what is generally considered as the off season.  Today was one of those situations.
 When I checked AIS this morning, I saw that the Algowood was moving down the St. Clair River.  When I checked later, it looked like she was stuck around Algonac.
 I was actually thinking of heading up to Algonac, but I thought that if I did that, she would get unstuck I would miss her.  Well, it turned out that she got unstuck around 3:00P.M., so I decided to head to Detroit to catch her there.
 So anyway, I was happy to go out boatwatching.  Even if it was just one point.
I guess I was most happy about was returning to some degree of normalcy.  I was never worried that I would never go boatwatching again but I was a little worried that it may be a little more difficult.  As I take my camera out more, I'm finding that things wont be as difficult as I was afraid.
Anyway, I wish it were still nice out when I caught the ship, but it wasn't.  Still made for some nice pictures.
 She passes the Eye of Sauron.
 And continues down the River.
And one more shot before moving on.

No comments: