Wednesday, February 16, 2011

McKenny Union

I took a couple days hiatus with my camera. I decided to give myself a little break after posting daily for the past month or so. Gave me a little time to collect my thoughts plus I experienced one of the joys of living in Michigan when the weather starts turning nice.

Monday night, as I was heading home from work, I ran over a nice little pothole. So I stopped for dinner to inpsect the damage to my car. There was a nice sized dent on the wheel but no appreciable damage to the tire or anything else for that matter. But I figured if the pothole was enough to damage the rim, I don't know what else was damaged. So yesterday morning, I took a look at my tire and it didn't seem flat which was probably a good sign it wasn't damage and then I took my car into the dealer. It turns out that the pothole damaged the rim and some parts of my suspension. They were able to fix it and tonight everything seemed okay.

So after I picked up my car, I still had a good deal of sunlight left so I decided to head over to Eastern Michigan to take some pictures.

McKenny Union is a building that has been shown on this blog before. It's creation made Michigan State Normal College (as Eastern was known at the time) the first teacher's college with a social center.

It was built in 1931 with some funds from the Alumni Association. They set out with a plan to raise $500,000 and in 1928, that led to pledges of $350,000. The stock market crash of 1929, led to this being $130,000 in actual cash. As a result, construction on a less ambitious building was begun.

The architect was was Frank Eurich and he used what was called Collegiate Gothic, which was a pretty popular style at the time.

In 1963, the State allocated money for expansion and modernization. This included a bookstore and some places for entertainment. In 1992, the building was expanded again with the addition of some fast food restaurants. Some of this has been moved to the new Student Center.

The building is named after Charles McKenny who was the University President at the time.

No comments: