Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pierce Hall

Monday's Assignment was to make a photograph featuring strong vertical lines today. For that, I decided to use Pierce Hall. I never really liked the look of the building because it looked too modern for my tastes. It was built in 1949 as part of a large building campaign by the President at the time, John Munson. It was the last building of that campaign to be built before he left.

The building was dedicated in 1949 as part of Eastern's Centennial. It was named after John Pierce who was the state's first Superintendent of Public Institutions. He insisted that a system of free public schools be included in the Constitution when it was written in 1850.

The design of the building was a modern interpretation of the original Pierce building. This tower holds a set of chimes that was dedicated to all alumni that died in World War II.

As I said, I never really liked this building until I looked up and saw the faces near the top.

The tower stands at 120 feet tall. It also houses WEMU. The building is currently used for Administration and Student Services. I spent a little time here.

No comments: