Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Dossin Museum Again

I decided to take a look at the website that tracks shipping on the Great Lakes and I saw that a ship was just coming into Lake St. Clair.  That generally means I have about 2 hours to get to Belle Isle, so I figured I would take a trip today.  I was still feeling a little under the weather and the weather was looking a little under the weather so I wasn't sure if I wanted to go.  In the end, I'm glad I went.

I thought I would try to take pictures of the ship from the Dossin Museum's pilothouse.  As I got in, it didn't look good.
 This is the anchor from the Edmund Fitzgerald.  I think I've taken pictures of it before but I'm pretty sure I didn't like something about them.
 A flag pole.  It looks like it may come from a ship, but I'm not sure.
 A propellor from a ship.  I'm not sure what one.
 Another angle of the anchor from the Edmund Fitzgerald.
 This is a speed boat from the 30's.  I think it was used in racing along the Detroit River.
 Another angle.  Unfortunately, it is not really is a good spot for picture taking.  Shame because it's a beautiful boat.
 This was a stained glass window from the cruise ship City of Detroit.  Unfortunately, the ship is no longer in service and I don't believe there are currently any ships that cruise the lakes.  Shame really.
 Looking at Windsor from the pilothouse.  I guess it wouldn't have been too bad but the windows were dirty.
Looking upriver from the pilothouse.

3 comments:

DetroitVideoDaily said...

These shot inspire me to stop by the museum the next time I'm on the island. By the way, what website do you use to track the boats?

Christopher List said...

ais.boartnerd.com

DetroitVideoDaily said...

Thanks for the info Christopher! Mikoyan also left the site names over at my blog. Interesting stuff.