Friday, May 11, 2012

The Algosoo at Dusk

So as I said a couple posts ago, I wasn't feeling well today and just sort of lazed around the house that is until I saw that the Algosoo would be coming down the River.   I don't think she normally wanders down this way too much and as a result she is one I've been wanting to get for a while.  However, as I got in my car, the sun was already pretty low on the horizon and I wasn't sure I would have the opportunity to get her.
 As you can see from this picture, it was getting pretty dark and at this point I had the ISO settings on my camera pretty high.  It didn't look too promising.  However, you can make her out.
 The Algosoo is owned by Algoma Central and she was born in 1974 at the Collingwood Shipyard.  She is considered an almost sister of the Algolake which was constructed at almost the same time.  The main difference being that the Algolake has the pilothouse and what not in the rear.  The Algosoo would be the last traditional style laker built on the Great Lakes.
 She is powered by two Pielstick Diesel engines giving her a total rating of 9,000 horsepower.  This gives her a rated speed of 15 mph.  She is also equipped with a bow thruster.
 She is 730 feet long and can carry a maximum of 32,000 tons of cargo.
 She has had a couple incidents in her career.  She has been run aground and had a collision with the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Griffon.
 A closeup shot of her pilothouse.
 I think I kind of like this shot with the reflections of the light off the water.
 Sadly it was getting way too dark and at this point they were getting ready to kick folks out of the park.
 I kind of like this shot too.
And my last shot of the evening.

I may try to revisit a couple of these shots and lighten them up a bit.  But there is the Algosoo.

1 comment:

Isaac said...

I think Algosoo is pretty even though she looks "unusual".