Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Odds and Ends

One thing about taking pictures on the Detroit River is that you never know what you're going to see.
 The odds are pretty good that you will see seagulls.  Many times they are following the ship and looking for fish that get churned up by the props.  Other times they are showing up the fishermen that line the riverbanks.
 The odds are not so good that you will see a B-17 Flying Fortress.  She was off in the distance over Downtown Detroit.  I'm pretty certain she is the Yankee Lady though.  I thought it was pretty cool to see her though.
 Your chances of seeing birds are pretty good too.  They are even better after people leave food on the pavement.  I'm not quite sure what kind of birds these are though.
 I guess they like ice cream as much as people though.
 And a nice blue beak.
 And one last shot before I tried to get closer to him to get a slightly better shot but he flew off.
 Another seagull.
I didn't really have enough pictures of the tugboat and her barge to justify a separate post.  Since I think that the tug/barge combo is odd looking anyway, I figured I would put her here.

So until next time.....that was my evening on the Detroit River.

2 comments:

Isaac said...

The small birds are House Sparrows, the bird in the first shot is a Ring-Billed Gull. Energy 6506 has been anchored for nearly a week now.

Mikoyan said...

I thought they were sparrows. The Huron Service left tonight.