Wednesday, July 31, 2013

And Now For Something Completely Different...the Roger Blough

Actually the Blough is not all that different on this blog.  She is by far the champion amongst my ship pictures.  Honestly, I have no idea why other than she's a cool looking boat.
 So I was at Algonac State Park waiting for her.  I was excited as she appeared around the bend.  For some reason she reminds me of a snapping turtle.
 She's wide enough to be a 1000 footer but not long enough.  She is only 858 feet long.  She can carry almost 44,000 tons of cargo.
 She mostly splits her time between Conneaut, Ohio and Gary, Indiana.  I like it when she comes down this way.
 A shot of her bow and pilothouse.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 She has one of the more unique looking stacks out there.
 Her selfunloader.  This is part of the reason why she splits between two ports.  There aren't many ports that can handle this system.
 So then I moved up to Marine City where I almost got a headshot.  I think she looks better when she is loaded though.
 She slowly works her way up.
 Another shot of her.
 She starts to pass me.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 The almost straight out shot. 
 It's amazing how close these boats were getting to her.
 She works her way up the River.
 A shot of her stern.
And one more before she and I move on.

I was thinking of following her all the way up to Port Huron but I had already had a long day at this point and I wanted to get home.  If I had followed her up, I would have caught another new ship.  Oh well.

No comments: