Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Wandering Around Chicago - Part I

So after getting off the train in Chicago, I decided to go wander around the city.  One of the things I wanted to do was take the Chicago River Architecture tour.  I've heard some good things about that.  Since I have a few pictures, I've decided to break this into a couple of posts.
 Before wandering around the city, I decided to grab a bite to eat at the train station.  This is the hot dog stand that I usually eat at and the food is pretty good.
 I believe this is Upper Wacker Drive.  It sort of follows along the Chicago River.
 Looking up at the Sears (Willis) Tower.  It's hard to think that we can build something that is this tall.
 Another angle of the Sears Tower.  I know that it has a different name now but it will always be the Sears Tower for me.
 Before I started on the architecture tour, I had to take a ride on one of the water taxis.  It was actually pretty cool since I've never been on the Chicago River before.
 The view of the River as I headed out from the starting point for the water taxi.  I'd imagine this would be pretty cool around St. Patrick's Day since they dye the river green.
 This is the Riverside Plaza building. 
 Looking down the Chicago River.
 I don't remember what many of these buildings were.
 This is the frieze on the Michigan Avenue Bridge that crosses the Chicago River.  I believe it is depicting DuSable who was the first European settler of Chicago.  The bridge was built in 1920.
 Looking up at the Tribune Tower.  Construction on it started in 1923 and was completed by 1925.  It was designed by Howells and Hood and was designated as a Chicago Landmark in 1989.
 Some of the details of the Tribune Tower.
 I'm not sure what building this was, but I kind of liked the details on it.
 The Chicago Water Tower is sort of across the street from the Hancock Building.  It was built in 1869 which means it is 100 years older than I am.  It was added to National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
 Almost as distinctive to the Chicago Skyline as the Sears Tower is the John Hancock Building.  Construction was completed in 1969.  The X-bracing is actually part of the structure.
 Looking up at the building.  It has 100 floors and is 1,127 feet tall. 
 Another angle looking up.
 Looking down Michigan Avenue again.  I don't think I've ever seen this road without traffic on it.
 Another angle of the Water Tower.
 A little further down Michigan Avenue.  This is not actually the same Michigan Avenue that slices through my neck of the woods.
 Another view of the Tribune Tower.
 This is the vessel that would take me on my tour.
 The Trump Hotel in Chicago.  Evidently one of the penthouses is for sale for the low low price of $30 Million.
 I'm not sure if this is a former Navy Patrol boat.  It kind of looks like it based on some of the flags.
 One of the Chicago Fire Boats.
Another fire boat.

No comments: