Thursday, October 25, 2018

The They Might Be Giants Concert

A couple of months ago, I saw that They Might Be Giants was coming to Ann Arbor.  They are one of my favorite bands and I saw them in Ann Arbor a few years ago.  It was a pretty good show and the Michigan is a nice place to see a concert.
 The sign announcing the band.  The band was formed in 1982 by John Linnell and John Flansburgh in Brooklyn, New York.  In the early years, they performed as a duo and over time they added more members.  Around 1985, they did a thing called "Dial-A-Song" where they would record a song on their answering machine.  They released their first album in 1986 and it became a college radio hit.   Then in 1988, they released an album called "Lincoln".  In 1990, they released "Flood" which contained "Birdhouse in your Soul" and they never looked back since then.  They are a quirky but talented band.
 The guy in the yellow jack is John Flansburgh.  He mostly plays the guitar.
 The guy next to him in John Linnell, he plays the keyboard, accordion and a clarinet type instrument.
 They played a number of their fan favorites plus some stuff from their new album.  They have released 20 albums over the years.  They've also released a few children's albums but they are actually pretty good and not insulting.
 It's amazing to think that they've been around for 36 years and you don't generally hear them on mainstream radio.
 I kind of wish I had my proper camera, so I apologize for the quality of the pictures.
But again, I'm glad I didn't because I would have spent much of the time in the viewfinder.  As it was, my battery died after this shot.

It was a really good show and I really enjoyed myself.

No comments: