Monday, January 17, 2022

A Stop at Ottawa National Wildlife Preserve

On Saturday, we heard that the Ottawa National Wildlife Preserve was open, so we decided to head down there.  Wasn't sure what we'd see though.

As I started down one of the roads, I saw a few cars stopped.  People had their cameras out and I was wondering what they were looking at.
As I looked over in the direction of where their cameras were pointed, I saw what they were looking at.
This eagle was just hanging out in the tree.
I had to move a little bit to get a better vantage and this was the best that I could do.  I didn't like that the branches were in the way but I could see his head.
I kind of like this angle.
He was sort of looking my way.
I love these birds.
He was looking off another way.
As I was heading out of the park, I saw this guy flying by.
I didn't have much time to get him though.
I decided to take another spin around the park.  As I was heading through, I saw this downey woodpecker.  He wasn't going to give me a good picture though and this was the best I could do.
As I got to another spot, I saw this guy flying.  He was flying towards a nest.
And then he was greeted by the eagle at the top of the picture.
This eagle is almost a mature eagle.  I'd say it's probably about 5.  It's head is not quite fully white yet.
But he looks close enough to a mature eagle.
As I was leaving the park, I saw this one perched.  I later found it was a female kestrel.  I wasn't sure if it was a kestrel because I thought they had blue in their feathers.  But it turns out those are the male.


No comments: