Wednesday, October 24, 2012

And the Kaye E. Barker....

It's hard to believe that it has been month since the Unofficial Boatnerd Gathering because that was the last time I saw the Kaye E. Barker.  But it has been.  Time flies when you are having fun or something like that.
 I was actually hoping to catch the Robert S. Pierson, I even had a catchy title for my post and everything.  But work pays for boats and not the other way around, so I couldn't get down to Detroit soon enough.
 Fortunately, Lady Luck shined on me and provided me with the Kaye Barker instead.  I managed to see the Pierson heading downriver at Milliken but I guess I'd rather have the classic lake freighter.  Even though the Pierson would be a Wolverine of a different sort.
 So we have the Kaye E. Barker.  I actually like her lines.  Her pilothouse almost reminds me of the Lee A. Tregurtha.
 And of course, the classic straight on shot.  It would only be better if she didn't have the self-unloader.
 But we can't complain too much because if she didn't have that, she'd probably be scrap now.  Which would be a shame.
 And she heads back up to pick up some iron ore.
 And she moves further away.
 But still close enough for a shot of her stack.
 And her rear.
 And the pilothouse.
 A nice oblique rear shot.
 One more shot of her rear.
And one finally shot before she starts to round the Coast Guard Station and head into Lake St. Clair.

No comments: