Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Windswept St Joseph Lighthouse

So I was told that it was going to be pretty windy on the west side of the state yesterday.  I've been wanting to get pictures of these lighthouses during rough weather for a long time.  It seems like when the weather is like this, it is during the week and I can't get over.  So I packed my camera and headed over there.
 I decided to stop at the St. Joseph lighthouse first.  It has been a while since I've been there.  And sure enough, there was plenty of wind to be had.
 And now I know why they have the catwalks leading out to the lighthouse.  Although it seems like the waves get high enough that even the catwalk will not help.
 And now I know why the rails get icicles on them.  And given the fact that there was water washing over the pier, this was as far as I was going to go.
 Then I decided to get some pictures from the beach.  I'll have to say these waves were pretty impressive.  They almost reminded me of the waves out in California.
 Based on pictures I've seen, this was a realtively calm day.
 But not that calm.  We'll see your east coast lighthouses and show that we have nasty waves too.
 Well, I guess there is a song or too about the Witch of November.
 And Lake Michigan seems so peaceful most of the time.
 Well I say, most of the time.
 Still, it looks pretty cool.
 And you can see the waves crawling up on the pier.
and I leave you with a picture of some random debris.

No comments: