Monday, February 9, 2015

The Algosteel on the St. Clair River

It wasn't too long for my next ship to appear.
 That ship was the Algosteel.  She just delivered a load of salt to Detroit and she was returning to Goderich to pick up another load of salt.  I'm not sure where she is heading after that.
 I think operating in the winter is fairly normal for the Algosteel.  I'm pretty sure she wasn't operating last year as the ice levels were pretty thick.
 It wasn't too bad in the spot where I first caught up to her.
 As you can see, there was a little bit of ice.
 Next I headed up to St Clair.  I was surprised to see that there was more ice there.  It was fairly clear an hour before as I was watching the Jackman but that is the nature of ice floes.
 I guess it wasn't too bad here because at least the channel was open.
 It still had that arctic look to it.
 She heads off past St Clair.
 Next I headed up to Marysville.  It was starting to look like it was going to get nasty and the ice was a little thicker here.  It almost looked like she was going over the ice sheet.
 A shot of her pilothouse.  I can't imagine what it is like for the crews during these times.
 A sort of beam shot.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
 Another beam shot.
 A shot of her stack.
 The Canadian Flag flying in the breeze.
And she continues on.

No comments: