Friday, July 6, 2018

The Menominee Pier Lighthouse

After passing through Escanaba, I ended up taking the almost same route to Chicago that I did last time.  It seems like we ended up staying on US-41 instead of shifting over to US-43 though.  Oh well, it gave me a chance to see how relatively close Oshkosh is.  Anyway, that meant passing through Menominee again.
 As I was looking for the spot where I could get pictures of the Littoral Combat Ships, I noticed a sign for the Menominee Lighthouse.  Since I didn't see it last time, I figured that I would attempt to find it.  It didn't take me long but it was pretty hot out, so I didn't want to linger outside for too long.
I ended up using my big lens to get pictures of it.
The lighthouse itself is located at the end of the pier.  The first light appeared here in 1877.  The current one was completed in 1927 and automated in 1972.  Originally it had a fourth order Fresnel lens but that lens is now at Sand Point.  The tower is the rear range light.  These lights are then used to line up the channel.  The lighthouse is 34 feet tall.  The tower is 500 feet tall.

I will have to say, this is a pretty nice looking lighthouse.

No comments: