Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Catching the Kaye E. Barker on Her Final Trip of the Season

 I knew that the Kaye E. Barker was unloading at the Rouge Steel Mill but I wasn't sure if I would be able to catch her.  I'm still not sure how long it takes a ship to unload.  But as I was heading over to Belle Isle to catch the Calumet, she started to make her way towards leaving the Rouge.  I thought I had a chance of catching her on the river but that wasn't to be.

 As a result, I headed to Belanger Park.  I figured I could catch her as she was leaving the Rouge River.
I actually thought she would passing in front of me.  Usually when ships go to the Rouge to unload for their last load, they head over to the Nicholson Docks next door.
Much to my surprise, she started to make the turn for the trip north.  If I had looked it up, I would have saw that's where she was heading for her layup spot.
Anyway, I didn't know that at the time, so I kept taking pictures.
She headed towards Belle Isle.
It didn't take me long to figure I needed to head that way.
So it was back to my spot on Belle Isle.  I was able to make it in time but barely.
This spot makes for nice pictures.
I kind of wish I would have brought my drone.
Oh well.
It turns out that she was heading for Sturgeon Bay.
I think that means she is going to get worked on during the layup period.
I think that means she might be getting a new paint job.
But it seems like many of the Interlake boats don't look as rough as some of the others.
Maybe that's because they are already rusty colored.
She passes the old grain elevator.

The sky was gray but the river looked nice.
She kicks up nice bone in her teeth.
I'm guessing that the crew wanted to finish this journey.
Because that would mean a rest.
A beam shot.
She passes by.
Almost giving me a stern shot.
And one more before heading off.


No comments: