Saturday, February 5, 2022

Catching the Iver Bright on Ice

 So this is the ship that I wanted to catch.  The shipping season pretty much ends with the closing of the Soo Locks on January 15th although it lasted a little longer this year as it took longer for a couple ships to get through the Locks.  However, that doesn't preclude other ships from sailing between the time the Locks close and re-open.

The shipping that happens while the Locks are closed is usually between ports where the ship doesn't have to go through the Locks.
There is usually a ship or two that goes between Sarnia and Sault Ste Marie, Ontario.  The ship that does it is usually delivering fuel oil.
There is also a ship or two that goes between Sarnia and Nanticoke, delivering the same thing.
Then there are a handful of ships that deliver salt throughout the season to various ports from Goderich, Ontario.  Goderich has a major salt mine.
I don't think this ship fits into any of those categories.
I think the Iver Bright carries asphalt.  It think it originates in Sarnia and delivers all over.
With all the road construction, she has been kept busy.
I think she was coming over from Nanticoke and heading up to Sarnia.
She would have been picking up another load of asphalt there.
Anyway, a spot on the river without as much ice.
I kind of like the reflections in the water.
And the beam shot.
I didn't get the other ship that I wanted, so I headed up to St. Clair.  These pictures were after the other ship.
I'm glad I went to St. Clair, there was a bit more ice there and that made for some pretty cool looking pictures.
The bow shot.  I kind of like it here but the bow shots aren't as nice as the ones at Port Huron.
She makes the turn for the rest of the channel.
I'll have to say that the light was just about perfect for me.
There were a few open spots in the ice and those made for some nice reflections.
I wish that power plant weren't in the back ground.  Oh well.
The clouds were pretty cool.
And she starts to pass by.
Looks pretty desolate.
The beam shot.
And she passes by.
A shot of her stern.  She is registered in Breskens, the Netherlands.  She is owned by a Dutch shipping company.


No comments: