Sunday, October 29, 2023

The Saginaw Makes an Appearance

 Today wasn't a particularly busy boat day.  The Welland Strike was still going on but I heard that it was settled and the Welland Canal would open up tomorrow.  So I was thinking of going down to Indianapolis to catch an air show but then I checked the weather and that didn't look promising.  So I looked at Marine Traffic again and saw that a couple of cool ships would be passing Port Huron at roughly the same time, so I decided to head up there.

The first ship was the Mesabi Miner but I missed her because I went back to bed for a bit.  I figured I could catch her elsewhere on the St. Clair River but I took too long with the ships I did catch, so I missed her.
First up for me was the Saginaw.  She was one of the ships that I was hoping to catch.  
The AIS said that she was heading down from Sault Ste. Marie but sometimes it shows the last port the ship visited and not necessarily their origin.  
Then I looked up her past track on AIS and it looks like she was coming down from Meldrum Bay.
And I think that means she was carrying stone.
She was taking that stone to Marine City and she is still unloading as I type up this post.
I'm guessing that she is pretty close to finishing her unloading and will be heading to her next destination.
Her trip was roughly 12 hours.
And that is a fairly short trip on the Great Lakes.
Her second bow shot.
She makes the turn for the channel.
The other quarter view.
One more of that.
She passes under the Blue Water Bridge.
I didn't bring my drone because I thought it was going to be raining or windy.  Either thing is not good for my drone.
I like this shot.  As you can see, the clouds are pretty ominous.
The beam shot.
She continues down the river.
She has a nice stern.
She will be at her destination in about a couple hours after this point.


No comments: