Monday, April 27, 2015

And Now...the Lady Doris

I saw that there was one more ship that I had a chance to catch.  She wasn't too far behind the AlgoCanada but I didn't feel like waiting too long, so I went to the boat launch just south of Marine City.
 After a few minutes, she made her appearance.  She is the Lady Doris.
 She is owned by MST Mineralien Schiffahrt out of Schnaittenbach, Germany.  She was built in 2011 as the Merganser but she didn't kept that name long as she was given her new name in that same year.
 I think she was previously owned by Parakou out of China because they name all their ships after ducks.  In fact, if you look closely, you can see a hint of her former green hull from the peeling gray paint.
 People like to complain about the shape of Algoma ships, but I'd have to say this ship looks more worse for wear.  But then again, ocean trips are tough on ships.
 She is 606 feet long and can carry almost 31,000 tons of carge.
I'm not sure where she is heading but I would venture to guess, it is probably Duluth.

All in all, I would say that I had a pretty good day boatwatching.  I ended up catching 8 ships and found some new spots to watch ships.  I will have to explore those spots more.

No comments: