Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Beautiful Federal Danube

I decided to head up to the St. Clair River tonight.  I saw that there would be a fairly tight grouping of three ships passing.  I had the added bonus of seeing that the sky looked pretty cool tonight.
 The first of the three ships passing was the Federal Danube.  She has appeared on this blog before.  She is heading up to Duluth where she will pick up grain for her return journey to Europe.
 She is being followed closely by the subject of the next post.  I saw that these ships were pretty tight on AIS but I didn't realize they were this tight.
 The Federal Danube is one of several salties that travel on the Great Lakes.  I think their typical cargoes are grain for the return trip.  I'm not sure what they bring here but I have to believe they bring something.
 The Federal Danube is owned by Intership Navigation Company out of Cyprus but she is chartered by Federal Navigation.  She wears the colors of the company that she is chartered to.
 She was built in 2003 and has a length of 652 feet.  She can carry a little over 37,000 tons of cargo.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
And she continues onto Duluth.

No comments: