Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Wandering Trough Pennsylvania

Next up was Pennsylvania.  As you can see from the other pictures, it was a pretty nice day for a drive.  That seems unusual for me because it seems like it is always raining when I pass through Pennsylvania (at least on the first day).
 It seems like this is the first time I've visited Falling Water where it was sunny.  Usually I catch it on overcast days.  I'll have to say that this made it shine.
 The grounds leading up to the house are about as impressive as the house itself.
The house itself was built over a river (or creek) called Bear Run.  It has a couple of waterfalls.
 A shot of the water rushing by.
 Kind of a shot of a little waterfall.
 A shot from a little closer to the house.
 The house itself was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built for a family called the Kaufmanns.  The Kaufmanns owned a major department store in Pittsburgh which later found itself become part of the Macy's empire.  It was built as a vacation home.
 Many of the elements of the house blend together.  Even the furniture was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.  One of these days, I'm going to spring for the tour of the house itself.
 Frank Lloyd Wright believed that architecture should blend into nature.  This is a pretty good example of that.  You can pretty much lose the house through the trees.
 Construction on the house was started in 1936 and was completed in 1939.  At the time it cost $155,000 to build, this would translate to over two million dollars today.
 In 1963, the house was transferred to it's current owners, the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy.  Because of the fact it was built over a waterfall, extensive work was needed.  Since that time over 4.5 million people have visited the house.
 I really do like how the house blends in with its surroundings.
 I think it is really cool that it is built over a waterfall.
 I wanted to get a fuller shot.
 There were quite a few people visiting on that.  It made it difficult to get the shot I really wanted.
 And one in black and white.
 As I was heading out, I saw a flower that I needed a picture of.
 As I was heading from Falling Water, I got stopped by a train.  I guess I was fine with that.
 There was a scenic turnout along the way, I love the look of the mountains.
 This church was somewhere near the Maryland border.  I kind of like the looks of this style of church.
 And I had to try it in black and white.
A shot of the front.

No comments: