Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Another Brief Stop by Cincinnati

So I decided to head down to Kentucky last weekend.  So that meant a stop in Cincinnati again.
 I was able to park close to the Bridge again this time.  This is the John A. Roebling Bridge.  Construction on it started in 1856 and was completed in 1867.  In many ways it was the prototype for the Brooklyn Bridge.  In 1975, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
 A statue of John A. Roebling.
 A beautiful view of the Cincinnati skyline.  I would like to stay overnight so that I can get a night shot of it.
 A better shot of the bridge.
 I found a nice little park near the bridge.  There were a couple of statues but this one was the most interesting to me.  It is a statue of Captain Mary Greene.  She ended up marrying a riverboat Captain and became one in her own right.  After his death in 1927, she ended up running his company of 27 riverboats.  She has many legendary exploits including navigating through a cyclone.  She died in 1949 on her boat, the Delta Queen.
 This was a shot that I tried to frame with the trees.
 The street coming out of the bridge was pretty nice with some nice houses.
 Another one of those houses.
 I didn't notice the sign on the pylon on the bridge.  It tells the captains the clearance between the water and the bottom of the bridge.
 A pulled out shot of that bridge.
 This is a statue of John James Audubon.  He was a naturalist and his most famous work is a guidebook to birds.  The Audubon books are some of the best nature guides out there.
 Another one of those houses.  Minus the fans, this is what I think of when I think of a proper southern house.
 Another view of the Cincinnati skyline.
 Moving a little further.
 I wanted to get a shot of the bridge itself but this entrance was closed.  So this was the best I could do.
 As I was about ready to get back into the car, I saw this tug and barge coming up the Ohio River. 
 The Sandy Drake is one of many towboats that ply the Ohio River.  I don't have many details on her except that she was involved in the rescue of the crew of towboat that capsized. 
 These boats will travel as far north as Pittsburgh and I presume as far south as New Orleans.  Boats on the Ohio River are limited by the locks that are necessary along the way.  They can still carry a ton of barges though.
 This particular towboat is only carrying one barge.
 And the barge continues up the river.
 After hanging out along the river, I was told about a park up on the hill.  I went up there next and it provided a pretty awesome view of the city.
 Another shot.
 This Cessna flew over as I was taking picture.
As I was about to leave, I saw this train crossing over the bridge.  More on it later.

No comments: