Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Detroit Police Helicopter

As I went back to Belle Isle to catch my ship, I stumbled across this helicopter.  Fortunately, I still had a little bit of time to kill because opportunities like this don't come all the time.
 I believe this is a Bell 206 Jet Ranger.  It had its first flight in 1962 and became operational in 1967.  In its Army form, it is known as the OH-58 Kiowa.  Over 7,000 have been built.
 Evidently this was converted from a Kiowa last year and is the only helicopter in service for the Detroit Police (although they have access to a State Police Helicopter on occasion).
 I'll have to admit, it was pretty neat to see this as I didn't realize that Detroit had a helicopter. 
 Sort of a shot of the cockpit.
 Another angle of the helicopter.
And a shot from the front.

No comments: